- There are around 59 varieties of Mexican heirloom corn. At Sobre Masa we work with as many different types as possible
- Depending on the type of corn we decide to use, our recipe needs to be adjusted.
- Corn is cooked with calcium hydroxide and water and left to rest overnight. This process is called nixtamalization. This step helps give our tortillas a higher nutritional value and strength.
- We then rinse the corn and prepare it for grinding.
- We have a volcanic stone mill. With which we mill the corn based on the application, for example corn used for chips is usually more coarsely ground than that user for tortillas.
- The corn is ground into masa
- Masa is left to cool
- Mix it and adjust hydration.
- Calibrate our machines.
- Masa is rolled onto a hot comal and cooked.
- Quality check.
- Package and send.
Shop For Tortillas